KUALA LUMPUR: The new computers installed for Members of Parliament in the Dewan Rakyat cost a whopping RM11,916 each.
In a written reply to Fong Po Kuan (DAP-Batu Gajah), the Prime Minister’s Department said the touchscreen computers, including the cost of installation, cost RM11,233 each.
Furthermore, an additional RM320 was paid for the keyboard, mouse and tilting bracket, while an 80GB hard disk cost RM363.
The computers were installed before the current Parliament started on Oct 19 for all 222 MPs, which brought the total bill to more than RM2.6mil.
At the Parliament lobby, Lim Lip Eng (DAP-Segambut) said the cost of the computers was exorbitant and handed out price lists from computer shops to prove his point.
”The 80GB hard disk has been phased out early this year. For twice the capacity, you can get a 160GB hard disk at RM150.
”The keyboard and mouse are not branded and are made in China. A Microsoft combo pack of keyboard and mouse costs only RM55,” he said.
Lim said Parliament could have instead invested in a simple laptop for MPs, which would only cost RM2,000 per unit.
Chong Chieng Jen (DAP-Bandar Kuching) said it boiled down to whether a proper tender was called for the purchase, or if the procurement was done through direct negotiations without proper comparison of prices.
- The Most Corrupted Malaysian
- THE TAIB CROWN JEWELS
- Anwar’s Acquittal – What Are The Hidden Messages?
- The difference between Rosmah and Imelda: Rosmah's handbag costs more
- Fairy-tale rise of Perak's princess in Malaysia's corporate world
- ‘PROGRESS AND DEVELOPMENT’ WHERE DID THE MONEY GO?
- Taib Mahmud: The Most Corrupted & Bastards Chief Minister
- BN pouring in RM80mil for 620 votes
- Malaysian PM caught up in murder, bribery scandal
- Why Najib has enough money for RM36bil MRT but not enough for civil servants' bonuses