PENANTI, May 23 — Penanti by-election independent candidate Aminah Abdullah vowed she would unveil and tell people the truth about her former Parti KeAdilan Rakyat (PKR) soon so they would know that the party, which prides itself on justice, is not just at all.
The former Penang PKR Wanita chief, who will be contesting under the key symbol, said today one of her main objectives of contesting is to "return democracy to the people here" and what better way to do that than to expose the hypocrisy of the party.
She added that such an expose will be part of her campaign tactic.
"I want the people here to be free of any form of oppression in the name of democracy," she said in an apparent reference to her former party.
The Malay-majority Penanti seat falls under the parliamentary constituency of PKR fortress Permatang Pauh, helmed by party de facto leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.
The Penanti seat was vacated after PKR's Mohamad Fairuz Khairuddin resigned following alleged involvement in graft. He was later cleared of any wrongdoing.
Aminah, also known affectionately as Kak Min, is one of three independent candidates fighting for the vacant Penanti state seat.
Although lacking financial means,, nothing will stop her from doing what is right for the people, she said.
Despite this, Aminah has spent thousands of ringgit so far.
Asked how she would campaign given her financial shortcoming, the soft-spoken politician said she would “hire” the media to spread her campaign messages.
"I am hiring you all to spread my campaign messages," she told reporters smilingly after nomination was done.
Aminah and the other candidates will have more than a week to campaign. Polling will take place in nine days’ time.
- The Most Corrupted Malaysian
- THE TAIB CROWN JEWELS
- Anwar’s Acquittal – What Are The Hidden Messages?
- ‘PROGRESS AND DEVELOPMENT’ WHERE DID THE MONEY GO?
- The difference between Rosmah and Imelda: Rosmah's handbag costs more
- Fairy-tale rise of Perak's princess in Malaysia's corporate world
- Taib Mahmud: The Most Corrupted & Bastards Chief Minister
- BN pouring in RM80mil for 620 votes
- Malaysian PM caught up in murder, bribery scandal
- Why Najib has enough money for RM36bil MRT but not enough for civil servants' bonuses