KUALA LUMPUR: The police will soon be calling up DAP Youth chief Loke Siew Fook and Jelutong MP Jeff Ooi to have their statements recorded regarding allegations they had insulted Islam.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan said police would record their statements before making any recommendation to the Attorney-General, who will then decide whether to charge them in court.
“The alleged actions are punishable under the Sedition Act or Section 298 of the Penal Code for insulting religions,” he said after handing over a donation to the Gaza children’s humanitarian fund in Bukit Aman on Wednesday.
Also present were former prime minister Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi and his wife Tun Jeanne Abdullah who accepted a cheque for RM97,156.55 to help the victims.
Loke had allegedly hit out at freelance religious speaker Dr Mohd Ridhuan Tee Abdullah and called him a racist for the latter’s statement on the status of the unborn child of political aide Teoh Beng Hock, who died after a fall last month.
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak later directed police to investigate comments that purportedly appeared on Loke’s blog that allegedly insulted Islam as well as the Sultan of Perak.
Loke, also the Member of Parliament for Rasah, has strongly denied the allegation and said he did not know of the existence of the blog and was not aware of who was behind it. He lodged a police report about the matter at the Dang Wangi police station on Monday.
Ooi had made a statement which purportedly linked the Jemaah Islah Malaysia (JIM) movement to religious extremists for wanting to promote Syariah laws.
He later retracted the statement.
Musa said the investigations on Ooi would be handled by Penang police while those on Loke would be investigated by the Bukit Aman Commercial Crimes Department.
- The Most Corrupted Malaysian
- THE TAIB CROWN JEWELS
- Anwar’s Acquittal – What Are The Hidden Messages?
- ‘PROGRESS AND DEVELOPMENT’ WHERE DID THE MONEY GO?
- The difference between Rosmah and Imelda: Rosmah's handbag costs more
- Fairy-tale rise of Perak's princess in Malaysia's corporate world
- Taib Mahmud: The Most Corrupted & Bastards Chief Minister
- BN pouring in RM80mil for 620 votes
- Malaysian PM caught up in murder, bribery scandal
- Why Najib has enough money for RM36bil MRT but not enough for civil servants' bonuses