KUALA LUMPUR: Umno has no plans to abolish its Putera and Puteri wings as suggested by the party’s disciplinary board, said Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.
“The suggestion is too drastic a measure and would create a huge impact on future leadership,” he said at the launch of the Peugeot 308 here on Thursday.
It would also deprive Umno of the opportunity to build up leaders from within, he said.
The structure for the wings has existed since the beginning and they play an important role, he added.
On Wednesday, Umno disciplinary board chairman Tan Sri Tengku Ahmad Rithauddeen suggested Umno revamp by abolishing the three main party wings (including Youth and Wanita) and Putera Umno to ensure that corruption within the party was totally eradicated.
He said the problem of money politics and vote-buying could be eradicated by making Umno a singular organisation.
“If the problem is with money politics, then it would be better for us to strengthen enforcement and our value system,” Najib said.
Meanwhile, Putera Umno chief Datuk Abdul Azeez Abdul Rahim said that Putera is not a wing but a bureau under Umno Youth.
“Putera is still relevant to Umno and should not be abolished as it would only weaken the party,” he said.
“It is an avenue for the younger generation and abolishing it would only alienate them,” he said.
Nevertheless, he said Putera would abide by whatever decision the Umno supreme council makes over the issue. - thestar
Thursday, January 29, 2009
- The Most Corrupted Malaysian
- THE TAIB CROWN JEWELS
- Anwar’s Acquittal – What Are The Hidden Messages?
- The difference between Rosmah and Imelda: Rosmah's handbag costs more
- ‘PROGRESS AND DEVELOPMENT’ WHERE DID THE MONEY GO?
- Fairy-tale rise of Perak's princess in Malaysia's corporate world
- Taib Mahmud: The Most Corrupted & Bastards Chief Minister
- BN pouring in RM80mil for 620 votes
- Malaysian PM caught up in murder, bribery scandal
- Why Najib has enough money for RM36bil MRT but not enough for civil servants' bonuses