KOTA BAHARU, Feb 10 — Pas spiritual leader Datuk Nik Abdul Aziz Nik Mat said today he cannot agree to the suggestion by the DAP that Datuk Seri Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin be fielded in the Bukit Gantang parliamentary by-election.
He said that so long as the Pakatan Rakyat regarded Mohammad Nizar as the Perak menteri besar, he should not be contesting in the by-election.
“If you ask me, I cannot accept a menteri besar contesting in a by-election. To me, it is not right for the ‘Perak MB’ to contest as he is already an elected representative.
“This is just like what the former Pas president (the late) Datuk Asri Muda did when he contested for both the state and parliamentary seats when he was the Kelantan menteri besar,” he told reporters in his office here today.
Nik Aziz also commended former Kedah state executive council member V. Arumugam for vacating his Bukit Selambau state seat, saying the former Parti Keadilan Rakyat assemblyman was a man with principle.
He also agreed if the Bukit Gantang parliamentary and Bukit Selambau stateby-elections were to be held simultaneously.
“Elections are the hallmark of a democratic system; I don’t have any objection if both by-elections are held simultaneously. I will be campaigining... if health permits,” he said.
The Bukit Gantang seat fell vacant following the death of Pas member of parliament Roslan Shaharum, 50, yesterday. Bukit Selambau was vacated by Arumugam, also effective yesterday.
Nik Aziz praised the people of Kelantan for their maturity which enabled Pas to defend its position in the state government “despite various obstacles from its political enemies.”
He was disappointed, however, with the attitude of several PKR leaders in Perak, whom he said “have succumbed to the pressure” when they should have kept on fighting.
But in Kelantan, he said, Pas remained strong despite all the badgering. — Bernama
- The Most Corrupted Malaysian
- THE TAIB CROWN JEWELS
- Anwar’s Acquittal – What Are The Hidden Messages?
- ‘PROGRESS AND DEVELOPMENT’ WHERE DID THE MONEY GO?
- The difference between Rosmah and Imelda: Rosmah's handbag costs more
- Fairy-tale rise of Perak's princess in Malaysia's corporate world
- Taib Mahmud: The Most Corrupted & Bastards Chief Minister
- BN pouring in RM80mil for 620 votes
- Malaysian PM caught up in murder, bribery scandal
- Why Najib has enough money for RM36bil MRT but not enough for civil servants' bonuses